Dear Plant Lovers,
Thank you for expressing an interest in our site.
Plants are my passion and I am happy to share my knowledge and plants with fellow plant lovers.
We have developed our nursery over the years where we now have the largest selection of Australian plants in the US.
- Studied Horticulture at the University of Western Sydney, Hawkesbury Richmond NSW Australia. B. App. Sc. – Horticulture
- Over 20 years experience growing plants from arid and Mediterranean areas of Australia and South Africa.
- Experience in Zoo Horticulture in Australia and have consulted with several zoos in the US on plant species for habitat design.
- Worked in the Native Cut Flower Industry in the Blue Mountains on the outskirts of Sydney and with local cut flower growers in California.
- Spent 2 years working on revegetation of areas disturbed by mining and other environmental projects for Mount Isa Mines in outback Queensland.
- Dedicated to introducing new and diverse plant material for drought prone areas.
- Read some of Jo's articles!
More about the nursery:
Australian Native Plants nursery was established in the early 1990’s by myself,
Jo O’Connell, with the help of my husband Byron Cox. From the beginning, our vision was to
provide plants that are hardy, drought tolerant, cut flower producing and bird attracting.
We propagate most of our own plant material although we do buy plants in from other nurseries
growing Australian plants in California. We import seed from Australia, and cuttings are grown
from plants grown around the nursery and the many gardens we have been involved with in the area.
We import tissue cultured plants from Australia also. We visit Australia every year to resource
new plant material. Our aim is to offer a quality grown plant from the many diverse plant communities
We are a retail nursery, open by appointment but we are around most days,
especially Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays. We consult with Landscape Architects,
Designers and Landcape Contractors and we are happy to help you with your landscape projects.
We wholesale to other nurseries and cut flower growers in California.
Australian Native Plants Nursery
9040 North Ventura AveVenturaCA93001U.S.A.
Visiting - Open By Appointment
Nursery Entrance is off Nye Road in Casitas Springs, CA
The nursery is open by appointment but we are around most days, especially Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays.
Please contact us if you are planning a visit!
WORKToll Free: (800) 701 6517
WORKPREFLocal: (805) 649 3362
FaxFax: (805) 649 4080
Visit the Contact Page
Add to Your Address Book
Did you know?
Deep infrequent watering will encourage deep root systems and make your plants more resilient in dry periods?
Plants watered once/month delivering 5 gallon/hour for 1-2 hours, depending on size of plant, will be drought hardy by the 3rd summer?
© 2007-2013 Australian Native Plants Nursery - all rights reserved - 800.701.6517