Dear Plant Lovers,
Thank you for expressing an interest in our site.
Plants are my passion and I am happy to share my knowledge and plants with fellow plant lovers.
We have developed our growing grounds over the years where we now have the largest selection of Australian plants in the US.
- Studied Horticulture at the University of Western Sydney, Hawkesbury Richmond NSW Australia. B. App. Sc. – Horticulture
- Over 30 years experience growing plants from arid and Mediterranean areas of Australia and South Africa.
- Experience in Zoo Horticulture in Australia and have consulted with several zoos in the US on plant species for habitat design.
- Worked in the Native Cut Flower Industry in the Blue Mountains on the outskirts of Sydney and with local cut flower growers in California.
- Spent 2 years working on revegetation of areas disturbed by mining and other environmental projects for Mount Isa Mines in outback Queensland.
- Dedicated to introducing new and diverse plant material for drought prone areas.
- Read some of Jo's articles!
More about the us:
Australian Native Plants was established in the early 1990’s by myself,
Jo O’Connell, with the help of my husband Byron Cox. From the beginning, our vision was to
provide plants that are hardy, drought tolerant, cut flower producing and bird attracting.
We propagate most of our own plant material although we do buy plants in from other nurseries
growing Australian plants in California. We import seed from Australia, and cuttings are grown
from plants grown around the property and the many gardens we have been involved with in the area.
We import tissue cultured plants from Australia also. We visit Australia every year to resource
new plant material. Our aim is to offer a quality grown plant from the many diverse plant communities
We are specialist growers, open by appointment. For more information about visiting, please
We consult with Landscape Architects,
Designers and Landcape Contractors and we are happy to consult with you on your projects.
We wholesale to other nurseries and cut flower growers in California.
Australian Native Plants
P. O. Box 1606Oak ViewCA93022U.S.A.
Visiting - Open By Appointment Monday-Friday
Entrance is in Casitas Springs, CA in the Ojai Valley
Our growing grounds are open by appointment.
Please contact us if you are planning a visit!
WORKToll Free: (800) 701 6517
WORKPREFLocal: (805) 649 3362
FaxFax: (805) 649 4080
Visit the Contact Page
Did you know?
Deep infrequent watering will encourage deep root systems and make your plants more resilient in dry periods?
Plants watered once/month delivering 5 gallon/hour for 1-2 hours, depending on size of plant, will be drought hardy by the 3rd summer?
© 2007-2023 Australian Native Plants - all rights reserved - 800.701.6517